Texturizers: Are they the solution to getting your hair curly?

Kinky Curly Hair
Share this and help a friend SLAY!

Do you know what the PH of a relaxer is? I know this is not a common concern for anyone who chemically processed their hair. However, as an educator that has experienced chemical burn, I take this service very seriously.

Texturizers tend to be just as high in PH as relaxers, around 11.5-13.5 . The point of these products  is to relax the curl to what can be a more manageable result for many.  For someone who has never relaxed or texturized their hair before, I recommend coming in for a deep condition and natural curl defining process first  so we can really see and show you how your curl pattern can work for you.  I find this to be the better long term solution. Some people have literally never seen the beauty of their natural curls and I believe this is a MUST before making the permanent decision to texturize.

Chemical services can have a short term gain with long term effects. Over processed hair is the most common occurrence. This can cause weak points along the hair shaft creating an inconsistent curl pattern and  if the hair is left overly dehydrated, it can break off from new growth to ends in common areas like the hairline and middle of the head.

So, to clarify, a texturizer is a way to loosen the current curl pattern you have, but I do not consider it a solution especially since you cannot predict the amount to which the hair will loosen up. The real solution is finding a stylist that understands your hair and teaches you how to do the same!

The following two tabs change content below.
Brandelyn Green is the Founder of VoiceOfHair, a platform to help women of color find the best hair care products, regimens and hairstyles! Since starting VoiceOfHair in 2014 she has grown the social media platform to over 1MM+ on Instagram and Facebook. As a natural who is also a salon goer, she wanted to create a platform where people could find the best products, hairstylists, advice and trends.
Share this and help a friend SLAY!

Facebook Comments

20 Comments

• Sharon says:

I need help with my hair

• Hope English says:

Hi Ms. Brandelyn, I have a few questions for you. I hope you can help me with my hair. My hair is thinning because of the meds am on am 50 years old and I used to have beautiful hair and now I don’t know what to do with it now. Should I stop getting perms or get it texturizer

• Hello Hope,

Thank you so much for reaching out to us! As always, we would suggest the least amount of chemicals applied to your hair.
      We’d recommend you consulting a professional stylist to find out which would be less harmful to your hair to prevent as much damage as possible.
      I hope I was able to answer your question. Please keep us updated 🙂 We’d love to follow your haircare journey.

• Mary Hayes says:

I had thinning hair with chemicals. I stopped 2 years ago using chemicals. Now I have lots of hair and learned my curl pattern. I have 4c hair. There’s so many products for 4c hair on the market. Be you and go natural. You will much happier.

• Mertice says:

I’m tired of perming my hair which is very short. I want curls…what can I use to get curls as I’m no longer perming…not ready for a big chop either. Want to keep it curly as the relaxer is wearing out…help!!

• Hello Mertice,
      I would suggest consulting a professional stylist but you can probably try using a texturizer on your to obtain curls on your relaxed hair.

• April says:

I live in Las Vegas where it is very dry. My hair has also thinned as I have aged and I have no chemicals. Curious about exploring my natural curl pattern aside from braids that I usually wear. Is there a capable stylist you can recommend in my area?

• Hello Apirl,
          Here are a few common tips that may be helpful:

HOW TO COMBAT DRY HAIR If you only apply oil to your hair and do not add moisture (water or water based products first) your hair will become dry and brittle and can break. The oil alone will not take your hair out and alone it cannot grow your hair. Oil can be used to seal in moisture but you MUST apply moisture first.
          HOW TO USE IT: If you are looking to use it for natural styling, you can use it as part of the LOC Method or I like to do LCO Method- where you first apply water or a leave in conditioner (L), then applying a cream product like a water based styling cream (C) and then followed by the hair elixir oil to seal it in (O). Also, if you wear protective styles like braids, sew-ins or wigs you can apply it to your scalp to relieve/stop itching by rubbing it in. I personally do this when I wear braids and it soothes my scalp and keeps my hair and edges growing! For short hair styling, you can use it as a finishing oil to add shine. Make sure to apply it to your hands first and then redistribute throughout!
          HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO SEE RESULTS: Our hair grows 1/2” per month (on average and that is only if you are getting all of the proper nutrients your body needs, not on medication, not experiencing any shock to your immune system, not experiencing menopause or other hormonal changes etc.) so the results do take time but all of my customers who have seen results have been patient and used it consistency, along with a healthy hair regimen.

If you have any additional questions, please let us know.

• Joyce Myles says:

My hair is very thick and dense, and becoming more difficult to manage as it grows in length. I have recently been considering a texturized as well as transitioning to gray. Seeking advice and consultation.

• Jenny says:

My hair is 4c and very thick
    I cannot manage it as it grows in length not to talk of combing it.Should I use a texturizer?

• Hi Jenny,

There are many ways to learn how to manage your natural hair! We would suggest maybe going to a professional hairstylist for some tips on how to easily manage your hair on a day to day basis.

• Brown Sugar says:

I love my curls. Hair is very mangeable,I just don’t like when it dries it shrinks. What can I do beside using gels to stop the shrinkage. My hair at its best when wet.
    Thanks

• Hi there Brown Sugar,
      I can understand your want to reduce shrinkage when styling your hair! I’ve learned to appreciate and embrace my shrinkage as it is a sign of healthy hair. You can try blow drying your hair straight before styling it (bantu knots, flat twist etc.) and your end result will be beautiful and show a little more of your length!

• Lucille Rodriguez says:

Hello, my hair is very coarse thick and coily(tightly). I isually where it shaves. I have been growing it back for the last 7 months. Itgrew a lot , but its hard to take careod it. I have 2 to twist it every night to be able to pick it out. I sometime feel that I am going to have to.cut it, texurizer it. I want to dye my hair blonde, but I have some grey hair..I do not know what to do.Need help.

• Hi Lucille,

I am not a hairstylist. However, I am working on a directory so that we can help you find a hairstylist near you. We will keep you updated once we are ready to launch our directory!
      Protective styles are your best friend. You can search Youtube for natural protective hairstyles for your hair type and you will find lost of tutorial videos that would be helpful.