Here’s How You Know It’s Time to See a Hair/Scalp Specialist (Trichologist)

Female African American doctor or nurse smiling isolated over white background

A trichologist helps people who have problems with their hair or scalp. Client may come to see them after complaining of excessive hair loss, a bald patch which has suddenly appeared, or itching and excessive scaling of the scalp.

These are the sorts of problems a trichologist sees. The trichologist will carefully question each new client and examine the scalp thoroughly to assess the problem and its cause. A microscopic examination of the hair might be required to aid in the diagnosis of the problem. The trichologist must then decide if treatment is necessary and whether the problem is within his or her realm to treat, or should be dealt with by another specialist. Treatment by the trichologist might consist of the application of a particular cream or lotion to the scalp or the use of nutritional therapy.

So What Are The Signs you need to See a Trichologist?

The following are all signs that means you should see a trichologist immediately

• Excessive hair loss
  • Excessive  breakage throughout your hair
  • A noticeable patch of hair loss or bald spot
  • You experienced thinning spots in your hair
  • Scaly patches of your hair
  • You experienced a loss of lashes or brows
  • Excessive facial hair for women, especially in a short period of time

Symptoms such as ‘burning’ of the scalp or an itchy scalp would also fall within the expertise of a trichologist

Other signs

• Excessive oiliness or dryness of the scalp
  • Excessive hair breakage after a chemical service
  • Chronic dandruff
  • Seborrhea dermatitis
  • Psoriasis
  • Trichotillomania
  • Excessive body hair for men
  • Use of medications frequently

Ok, I need help.  So how do I find a good trichologist?

Unfortunately, most insurance companies will not cover blood work for hair loss or visits to a trichologist, however you should check with your provider to be sure.  Just like any medical professional, it’s important to find a trichologist who understands your needs.  It’s always a good idea to start with your health insurance provider’s website (if you are using insurance to cover the cost) so that you can find a doctor in network.  If your insurance company will not cover trichology appointments you may want to look into dermatology appointments as some providers may cover a portion of those costs as well.

You can try to ask from peers and relatives if they have anyone to recommend. It’s also good to do a bit of research. You can ask the members of hair communities especially those who are or have experienced what you’re going through to give you suggestions on who to consult with.

The following two tabs change content below.
Brandelyn Green is the Founder of VoiceOfHair, a platform to help women of color find the best hair care products, regimens and hairstyles! Since starting VoiceOfHair in 2014 she has grown the social media platform to over 1MM+ on Instagram and Facebook. As a natural who is also a salon goer, she wanted to create a platform where people could find the best products, hairstylists, advice and trends.
Share this and help a friend SLAY!

Facebook Comments

11 Comments

• Anonymous says:

I am a natraul and I am loosing hair by the handful. I have tried nearly every hair vitamin out there and I can’t say I seen any kind of results. My scalp is healthy, no flaking, burning or itching. I also have facial hair on my chin and neck. I have done laser hair removal twice yet it keeps coming back! So frustrated.

• Jestina Jayjay says:

Voice of hair is really good I encourage anyone who has problem with their hair to go for it!!! I had problem with my edages until I started to use this wonderful oil. I can recommend to anyone with hair problem, I love this oil cause I can now see my hair beauty cause I love my hair.

• Thank you so much for that glowing review Jestina!!!

• AD says:

Hi. I am 44y.o. and I have little to no hair on my edges (alopecia retraction) I believe it to come from wearing tight pony tails as a young girl. I have suffered with this condition from the age of 15. I was told that it had been too long and the follicles are probably dead, therefore they will never produce again. Is there hope or should I resort to surgery. Thank you.

• SHARIE D Martin says:

Need to know closest one for my area to see. 74864 zip code ty

• Hello Sharie,
          Thank you for your comment. We are located in Austin, Texas but am not a hairstylist. However, I am working on a directory so that we can help you find a hairstylist near you. We will keep you updated once we are ready to launch our directory!

• Selena Joyner says:

My hair was bra length and I got a trim to my shoulders. It’s still shedding by the hand fills and around my edges are coming out. What’s going on…

• Nate says:

I was over shampooing my head and now I have a really sensitive scalp the good part is that now my hair doesn’t hurt anymore but I’m having itchy scalp I’ve tried to use the T-cell shampoo but that was very uncomfortable I’m taking it day by day today feels overwhelmingly itchy but it’s better than it was he said it was dandruff but I did this on the 28th of last month I was using castor oil and rosemary oil I believe that these two I’ve actually got allergic to both of them but I’ve had allergic reactions to castor oil on the pass

• Hello Nate,

Thank you for commenting and sharing your experience with us! Are you also conditioning your hair after you shampoo it? It is very important to condition your hair to restore your hairs PH balance after washing it. Failing to do so can cause dryness, itching and even dandruff because the hair has no moisture in it. Oils act more as a sealant than a moisturizer. So we’d advise conditioning your hair, and adding a leave in moisturizer or leave-in conditioner to your hair and then seal in that moisture with your oils.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

We wish you the best in your journey 🙂