Seeing extra strands of hair in the sink can be a major cause for concern. Well, any major nutritional or dietary change can cause additional stress on your body, which could trigger temporary hair loss.
But there is good news!
Your hair should go back to normal once your metabolism gets adjusted to your new way of eating. A question I get asked often is, can you lose hair after going on the Keto Diet (what most call going Keto)? The Keto Diet itself is not the main culprit behind your hair loss. However, there are side effects to going Keto that could possibly trigger sudden hair loss.
Below is a list of some possible causes for hair loss while on the Keto Diet.
#1.Vitamin and Mineral Deficiencies
Several research studies show that vitamin deficiencies have been linked to hair loss. When you drastically reduce the number of carbs in your diet you must replace the essential vitamins and minerals that get flushed out during your first days on Keto. Superfoods are useful for helping to replenish essential vitamins and minerals. Moreover, as your body takes in fewer carbs, you produce less insulin, and your glycogen stores become depleted. Once your glycogen stores are depleted, your kidneys excrete water and electrolytes in large amounts. You must replenish these electrolytes in order to maintain healthy hair.
#2. Lack of Protein
It’s normal for those on Keto to eat less protein. A standard Keto diet consists of low carbohydrates, moderate protein, and high fat intake. When most people start the diet, they often consume too little protein. Most people think too much protein can knock them out of ketosis, which is when your body starts to burn fat for energy because you don’t have enough carbohydrates. Many people think this happens through a process technically known as gluconeogenesis: the creation of glucose through non-carbohydrate carbons. This however is not the case. The main iron storage molecule, ferritin, is a protein. If you have low ferritin levels, it can cause symptoms of hypothyroidism, which directly affects hair health.
#3. Too Much Stress
Does stress ever leave you feeling like this?
Well, if it does, you are not alone. Stress is one of the main culprits behind hair loss. When your body undergoes major dietary transitions, your stress levels can be high. Since a transition to a low carb diet can trigger stress, it’s important to keep stress to a minimum. So, it is important to do your best to reduce stress in every other area of your life, especially during the beginning stages of your Keto journey.
Hair loss is difficult and can be a big deal. I know it was for me. However, if you are losing hair during your Keto journey, it is not the end of the world even though some days it feels like it.
Here are vitamins, oils, and proteins that can help reduce hair loss while you go Keto:
- Biotin: Biotin is one of the most effective supplements for increasing the thickness of hair follicles.
- Coconut oil: Coconut oil is loaded with essential nutrients and antioxidants like vitamin K, vitamin E, and iron.
- Collagen: Add more collagen to your foods and drinks, skip bone broth and go right for a collagen supplement.
With every lifestyle change you have to take into consideration the impact it can have on the health of our hair. Therefore, finding the right products, with the right ingredients is imperative. You need to supplement your Keto Diet with products that can help you keep your hair healthy. I have seen first hand the benefits of The Voice of Hair PureFix Elixir in helping women struggling with hair loss. The Elixir uses a unique blend of essential oils, infused with Biotin, Black Seed Oil, Rosemary, Black Castor Oil, and Coconut Oil to help you keep your hair flourishing and reach your health goals.
The Key Takeaways
The above information can be very technical and hard to understand, I get it! That is why I have included the key takeaways for you to read below at a glimpse.
- Any major dietary change can cause additional stress on your body, which could trigger temporary hair loss.
- Keto is not to blame for your hair loss but there are side effects of going Keto that could trigger hair loss.
- Some causes of hair loss are: vitamin and mineral deficiencies, not enough protein, and too much stress
- Some vitamins and oils to help hair loss: biotin, coconut oil, and collagen, which are all found in the Voice of Hair PureFix Elixir.
Latest posts by Brandelyn Green (see all)
- 9 Beautiful Celebrity Women Who Rock A Beautiful Bald Head - February 22, 2021
- How Healthy Is Your Hair Quiz? Find Out Now - February 2, 2021
- Gray and Gorgeous: 5 Beautiful Gray Hair Ideas for Black Women that You’ll Love - January 26, 2021