Hey what’s up hellooo. If you’ve been following me on social media for a while then you know that it is pretty rare that I start a style on wet or damp hair because I’m not a fan of the way my hair looks when styled wet. With most wet styles, my hair lacks volume and thickness. I’ve been natural my whole life but have always styles my hair after blowing it out. For the most part, I’ve always done any braid out, twist out or roller set style on dry hair.
But a lot of us in the natural hair community feel that stretching your hair with heat is of the devil and you should never. Ever. Under any circumstance. Use heat on your hair. *blank stare * I definitely don’t agree with that rhetoric (I can’t wait to tell ya’ll my philosophy on THAT. Soon come. Believe me, soon come). However I do agree that there are times where we should take a break from heat. And being that I start a lot of my styles on stretched, dry hair; I like this as an alternative to blowing my hair out.
Now of course one option is to just blow dry on cool air. But an option that I feel has really helped to change the love-hate relationship I tend to have with my hair, is a little handheld steamer called the Q-Redew.
What is the Q-Redew?
Like I said above, the Q-Redew is a handheld steamer that is used to rejuvenate, reshape, boost volume and restore moisture in the hair. It is seriously one of the best tools that I have invested in to make doing my hair a little…well, simpler. The Q-redew is not a necessity in caring for your hair…I repeat…the Q-Redew is NOT A NECESSITY IN CARING FOR YOUR HAIR. I do not want ya’ll thinking that I’m saying you have to run out and buy it on the spot. However, it is a really great invention that can help ease your at-home hair care while also improving the health of your hair. It’s not a necessity but it does rank high in my book with being one of the best natural hair care tools.
I’ll get into the details and benefits of the Q-redew in another post, but for now I’ll give you a basic understanding of what it is, how it works and why it’s good for your hair.
- What it is: A handheld steamer.
- What it does: Releases warm steam through a set of prongs to open the hair cuticle.
- Why it is good for your hair: When your hair cuticle is open, especially for low porosity hair (I’ll get into that at another time), it allows moisture to penetrate your strands more easily. This leads to properly moisturized hair that stays moisturized for a longer period of time. *The Q-redew has many uses, but for this article I’m only focusing on moisture.
So you may ask, how the heck does this make way for a heatless blow out? I’ll explain that in the steps below. But if you learn better by visuals, then feel free to watch my full tutorial. Or you can read it first and then watch the tutorial. However your brain works, I got you covered.
My 5 Steps to achieving a heatless blowout:
- Wash and condition your hair as normal.
- Apply your leave-in conditioner and/or oils. However it is that YOUmoisturize YOURhair. If you are curious as to how I moisturize my hair, then I can share that at a later time.
- Braid your hair into a few loose braids. I typically do 4-5 braids, but this will depend on your hair thickness and how fast it dries. The purpose of this step is to have your hair air-dry over night, so you want your braids loose enough to allow air in to help it dry.
- After your hair is fully dry –either a few hours later or over night– then remove the braids.
- Take your Q-redew and steam each section, then comb or brush it out. The steam stretches out your hair, while moisturizing it at the same time. And you are left with a stretched out fro that you didn’t need the blow dryer for!
Once I do this, my hair is ready for any style (braid out, twist out, bantu knots, roller sets). I’ll get elongated hair PLUS the moisture!
If the process sounds a little confusing, then just go ahead and watch the tutorial below and it’ll make more sense. I promise. This is actually a super easy process with great moisturizing benefits.
Bonus: In the video I demonstrate an alternative way that you can get a heatless blowout WITHOUT the use of a Q-redew. For those times when your coins just aren’t set up for this type of investment.
Now I’m gonna be honest, the Q-redew is an investment because it is not a cheap product. But if you struggle with moisture, just know that it will be an investment that is well worth it for your at-home hair care. I’ve had mine for about 4-5 years now and I have not regretted spending money on it. Let me know what you think of it by leaving a comment below. And if you have a question about this device, that I did not answer, then feel free to reach out to me on my social media.
Latest posts by Brandelyn Green (see all)
- 3 Simple Ways to Reduce Hair Loss from Stress - September 13, 2021
- Why You Need to Understand Your Hair Porosity - August 10, 2021
- 3 Simple Reasons Why Your Hair May Not Be Growing - August 2, 2021
will it work on relaxed hair because that hair need mositure
Hey Cynthia! Yes you can use a steamer on relaxed hair– it will still help moisturize your follicles!
I’m so glad that the ineetnrt allows free info like this!
Nice article & blog. And this is the first hairstyles blog where I found a video. Nice job
hi i am new to yhis site i have used different products to get my natural hair in check. i stop using relaxers and i no longer wear brads my hair is so thick very damaged. i hate the fact when i wash my hair its so nappy and hard to detangle refuse to spend ant more money on salons ad more hair products that dont work. befor i invest in this product what is is the price. i have seen the pics i lik what i c and read what the different ingredients thats in it can do for the hair. i am sold on thid product cause i need all the nutrients it can do for my natural ? hair please what is the price i eould like to give as a gift as well. thank u. i will invest and give it a try pray it does wonders so my hubbie cant stop want i ng me to go to the salon i can be my own salone it looks like once i buy this product. my heair is a total mess it itch lik crazy.. iwas about to purchase pantene but now that i seen this ive changed my mind how much is this product pleas?
Hi there, you can get the details on the product here: VoiceOfHairCare.com
Hi Yolanda, thanks so much for visiting the site and for checking out the product! You can purchase the product here: https://voiceofhaircare.com/products/voiceofhair-purefix-hair-elixir